Los columnistas de Visualmente::Carlos Gámez Kindelán::Rodrigo Sánchez::Jordi Catalá::Mario Tascón::Samuel Granados::Dolores Pujol::Fabio Marra::Luiz Adolfo::Leo Tavejnhansky::Massimo Gentile::Pablo Corral::Angel Casaña::Pedro Pérez Cuadrado::Tomás Ondarra::Kohji Shiiki::Elio Leturia::Rodrigo Fino::Ramiro Alonso::Sergio Fernández::Lo más leído de Visualmente::Portadas::Infofreak::Fotografía::Especial Helvética::Especial: Frases del 2008::Especial Cooper Black::Creatividad::Caricaturas::Cuartas Jornadas::Cumbre Mundial::Desnudos::Diarios impresos::Diarios online::Diálogos Visuales
Nuestros Blogs Asociados::Visualmente::Indio::Infograkids::Infografreaks::Infografreaks-edu::Mala Magazine::Bar Visual::Tipográficamente::Chillart::Universitariamente::Visualmente-Edu::Vía Libre::Bar Uch::Que Bien Que La Estamos Pasando::Twittermente::Seguinos en Twitter::Las editoras de Mala::Cristina Poetto::Miru Trigo::Ivonne Caamaño::Ana Ottone::Evita Las Tentaciones::Gaba Urco::Nacha La Macha::Beta Ramírez Bustelo::Carolina Ramírez::Connie Moreno::Juana Medina::Yanina Isabella Tejera::Anna Marti::Lina Delgado Cortés::Sofi Ginestra::India Herrera::La Bender Baruch::Los editores de Chillart::César Maldonado::Martín Pons::Pinguboy::Raúl Manrupe::Elio Leturia::Les Cuevas Otonelli::Nathalie Sonne::Germán Kemerer::Lucas Groglio::Rodolfo Fernández Alvarez::Raúl Della Valle::Julio Cuervo::Javier Cuello::Julián Chappa::Fabián Carreras::Jenny Canales Peña::Gastón Caba::Pablo Bobadilla::Federico Fuertes Guzmán::Bender Baruch::Seguinos en Twittermente

3.5.10

Sometimes travel means UGH



TRAVEL STOPPED BEING A PLEASURE.
Taking your shoes off, rushing like a maniac, having people breathing down your neck, hearing their sometimes obnoxious cell phone conversations, being poorly treated by impatient airport employees has taken away all the fun.
Since childhood,
I always dreamt about going to exotic places, visit the unusual sites, and exploring cities and towns slowly, taking my time to meet locals and find the out-of-the-ordinary locales. And that’s how I travel.
But when you
need to put yourself in auto-mode, after having rehearsed your dressing and undressing character at the airport, all that pleasure gets completely diminished. It’s like getting excited with an attractive lover who ends up being a disappointment in bed.
During a trip
to Buenos Aires I found my suitcase open, damaged and wrapped with tape. I went to the airline customer service desk to complain and I was told that since the piece of luggage was locked it had been opened by the “American people” in the United States, and that the airline was not responsible for it. I wasn’t too happy about it but, how secure is your luggage if you do not lock it?
A friend who
was traveling along told me that some of his clothes were gone when he opened his suitcase at home, which he had left unlocked.
In another trip
to Lima, I was happy to travel first-class (thanks frequent-flyer miles!) After my previous experience, I asked if I could take my luggage to the place where it was to be inspected and in case they needed to have it open I would unlock it for them. I had done that before. But this time they had moved the “multimillion scanner machine to the basement” at O’Hare airport, which was not open to the public, so I had to “take my chances” if I chose to lock my luggage. I know that if I send my suitcases unlocked the possibilities of items disappearing from them was extremely high. Do I risk to have the US Air administration employees break the lock (and leave a nice printed piece of information saying that “it had to be opened”—inside the case) or take the risk of not finding the Christian Dior cologne I bought for my dad or the black Clark shoes for my brother?
I decided to
take the risk.
Then I went to
the security area. Shoes, wallet, keys, cell phone, belt, coins off. A step closer and I am naked. Gee, I made the mistake of not having placed my laptop on its own tray— “solo para siempre,” (alone forever—according to the security officer, when he realized I speak English with an accent.) Dude, speak English—you do a better job and I can understand proper English. “Solo para siempre” does not mean “only by itself.” And please, if I ask a question do not say: “I am not talking to you.” I know you are the authority here and I have to shut up because I don’t want to tell you how rude you are and then start a soap opera that is going to cause me problems and delay my trip. Elio, just bite your tongue.
Yikes, I had made
another mistake. I stupidly placed a raspberry jam jar in my carry-on. Raspberries are “exotic” fruits for my folks, who live in Peru and like them. It was taken away from me by this nice lady who asked me categorically “not to touch” my carry-on while she was doing an inspection. I cringed but at least I knew that was my fault. I hadn’t placed any explosives inside the jam jar, but I understand that security is paramount.
Why has the
travel world changed so much? We all know why, but what a mess it has become.
I took my
first flight when I was 10 years old. It was a propeller plane and it took over three hours to get to my destination (nowadays it takes 55 minutes.) But traveling was so exciting then, especially to the rain forest and the Amazon river. My first international trip happened when I was 15 years old. It was a Boeing 727: Lima-Quito-Cali-Panama City-Miami. So many stops but so much fun, landing and stopping in so many airports. Of course, I was a kid and I was just simply fascinated with all those layovers.
Years went by
and traveling was still a pleasure. The anticipation, the counter at the airport, the boarding. People seemed to be nicer and attentive. Now? Not at all. I can’t wait to get to my destination. I don’t want to deal with upset counter employees with fake smiles, impatient folks at the security area, other stressed-out travelers who are missing their shoes, their cell phones, laptops, keys, wallets standing in line, feeling their identities are being examined by x-ray machines and prying eyes. (Photo Marek Ślusarczyk)

polaroids visuales

EL QR SERIES

EL QR SERIES
EL QRIFER

El ORIGINAL

El MIQR-EY MOUSE

LA PUQRA

El Black Demon

El QR Pí

El Norbarba

El QR JOJOJO

Merry QRistmas

El Bender Baruch

Le Garq

El Norwerine

Mad About Design

Nuestros blogs asociados

Nuestros blogs asociados
El Blog de Periodismo Visual

La revista online de moda

Catálogo Crítico de Tipografías

Las Portadas de Vía Libre

Por las Universidades Latinas

Los talleres de periodismo visual

El blogcebook de El Norbi

El portfolio de El Norbi

Archivo

Nuestras categorías